This is the internationally recognized symbol for accessibility (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
1. Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD), Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment has launched the “Accessible India Campaign (Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan)” as a nation-wide flagship campaign for achieving universal accessibility
that will enable persons with disabilities to gain access for equal opportunity and live independently and participate fully in all aspects of life in an inclusive society. The campaign targets at enhancing the accessibility of built environment, transport system and Information & communication eco-System.
2. The campaign would initially be implemented on pilot basis in seven States, which include Delhi
, Maharashtra, Rajasthan
and Tamil Nadu
. A strategy paper of the nation-wide Accessible India Campaign with details of the campaign along with objectives, targets and deadlines has been prepared, and is hyperlinked as Annexure
3. One of the target under the objective of enhancing the proportion of accessible government buildings
is to conduct accessibility audit of 100 most important government buildings and converting them into fully accessible buildings by July, 2016 in the following cities:
- – Delhi
- – Ahmedabad
- – Chennai
- – Gurgaon
- – Guwahati
- – Jaipur
- – Mumbai
4. Suggestions/ideas/proposals from individuals/NGOs/ Associations / Civic bodies are invited to identify 100 pubic (government) buildings frequently used by persons with disabilities in the above cities to be converted into fully accessible buildings, which will make the greatest impact on achieving a barrier-free environment that allows free & safe movement, function and access for all, without obstacles, with dignity and with as much independence as possible.
5. The details of identified prominent government buildings in the above cities to be converted into fully accessible buildings may be sent to the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities, by e-mail at [email protected]com
or by post to the following address latest by 5:00 p.m., 25.06.2015:
Shri Sanjay Singh
Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities,
Paryavaran Bhavan(5th Floor),
New Delhi -11003.