Rss

  • stumble
  • youtube
  • linkedin

Coal scam probe: CBI now says enough evidence against K M Birla

Coal scam probe: CBI now says enough evidence to take cognizance in case involving KM Birla, ex-coal secretary PC Parakh

Coal scam probe: CBI now says enough evidence to take cognizance in case involving KM Birla, ex-coal secretary PC Parakh
CBI on Monday made an apparent U-turn in a coal block allocation case and said there was enough evidence against the accused, which included industrialist KM Birla and former coal secretary PC Parakh.

Earlier, on October 21, CBI had filed a “detailed and comprehensive” report before the court in the case.

NEW DELHI: In an apparent U-turn, CBI, which had filed a closure report in a coal block allocation case involving industrialist Kumar Mangalam Birla, former coal secretary PC Parakh and others, on Monday told a special court there was enough evidence against the accused to take cognizance of offences.

The Supreme Court appointed-special public prosecutor (SPP) RS Cheema submitted before special CBI judge Bharat Parashar that the court can take cognizance on the closure report filed by it on October 21 as there was prima facie “evidence against the accused to show their involvement”.

The court after hearing the submissions advanced by Cheema and CBI prosecutors VK Sharma and AP Singh fixed the matter for November 25 for consideration of the agency’s closure report.

“SPP states that under the facts and circumstances of the case, prima facie there is enough material to take cognizance of the offences against private parties and some of the government officials involved in the process of coal blocks allocation. Put up for consideration on the closure report on November 25,” the judge said.

The CBI also placed on record a compilation of relevant documents relating to the case.

During the hearing, Cheema said, “We are asking for cognisance on the closure report as there was evidence against the accused to show their involvement.”

The judge asked the prosecutor that if the court decides to take cognisance of the offences, will the agency be ready with its documents.

To this, Cheema said some further investigation was required in the matter.

Earlier, on October 21, CBI had filed a “detailed and comprehensive” revised final closure report before a the court in the case.

The FIR against Birla, Parakh and others was registered in October last year by CBI which had alleged that Parakh had reversed his decision to reject coal block allocation to Hindalco within months “without any valid basis or change in circumstances” and shown “undue favours”.

The FIR relates to allocation of Talabira II and III coal blocks in 2005.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/enough-evidence-in-coal-scam-case-says-cbi/article6583075.ece

 

Related posts

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: