Letter undersigned by Amit Jani, who claims to be the chief of the UP Navnirman Sena; police awaits forensic report

A loaded pistol and a letter threatening to kill Kanhaiya Kumar and Umar Khalid, who were arrested under sedition charges over a controversial JNU event, were recovered from a bag in a DTC bus. The incident has prompted the police to oversee their security arrangements.

The South Delhi district police once again instructed the JNU authorities to inform them as soon as the duo is set to leave the campus for any reason, so that necessary security cover can be provided.

The threat letter was undersigned by Amit Jani, who claims to be the chief of the Uttar Pradesh Navnirman Sena.

Late last month, Jani had warned that his volunteers would shoot Kanhaiya if the latter did not leave the campus by March-end.

The police said that while they still needed to ascertain through forensic examinations if the letter was actually written by Jani, a team has been deployed outside his business office in Lajpat Nagar in a bid to nab him as soon as he surfaces.

While Jani’s mobile phone was found switched off, speaking to The Hindu via WhatsApp, the suspect refrained from answering in terms of a ‘yes’ or ‘no’ when asked if he or his men had planted the weapon and the letter.

“How many pistols will the police seize? A pistol will emerge from every house,” was one message from him in Hindi.

The weapon had been recovered from the low-floor green DTC bus late Thursday afternoon while the bus was passing through the Tilak Marg area.

But, sources said that before the recoveries, a call from a mobile number had been made to the JNU’s security unit informing that two bags containing weapons had been dispatched to Kanhaiya’s hostel in the varsity.

Before it could be verified, another call was received by the police control room (PCR) about a bag with weapons lying in bus route number 605 that travels between Mori Gate and Vasant Kunj via JNU campus.

Meanwhile, the bus conductor, too, had noticed an unattended bag lying under a seat upon which he opened to check it. “The bag had a fully loaded country-made pistol and a letter that threatened to kill Kanhaiya and Umar Khalid. The letter has been sent for forensic examination,” said a senior police officer.

A case in this connection was registered at Tilak Marg police station and the South Delhi district informed so that necessary security arrangements could be made for the two students.

Jani, meanwhile, was found absconding when a police team raided his Lajpat Nagar office. While he is yet to be nabbed, he went about freely interacting with the media, informing that he is in Vaishno Devi and that he would return to Delhi by Monday and surrender either before the police or in a court.

Jani also continued to issue threats to Kanhaiya and Umar, saying he would have them bombed when he gets a chance.

“Blood gushes into my eyes when I see the lions of the Delhi Police protecting a wolf (referring to Kanhaiya),” he said.