Demolition of over 1000 slums in Delhi‘s Shakur Basti area has erupted into a full blown war between the opposition and government. JD(U) and TMC joined AAP to blame the government for the anti-encroachment drive which rendered hundreds of people homeless in winter. A six-month-old child was also reportedly killed during the demolition drive on Saturday. In pics: Leaders bicker while people shiver in cold
Both Congress and AAP blamed the Modi government at the Centre for the incident. But Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi sought to take maximum mileage by visiting Shakur Basti to meeting the people affected by the demolition drive carried out by Railways.
Both Congress and AAP claimed that a six-month-old kid was killed in Shakur Basti during the demolition drive, however, the government rejected the allegation.
Here are the latest updates:
- Delhi High Court has issued notices to government, police and railways and directed them to make a coordinated action plan for rehabilitation of the displaced residents. The bench asked the railways whether a survey was done and proper rehabilitation arrangements were made before the demolition drive in Shakur Basti area.
- India Today has accessed the post mortem report of the 6-month-old baby girl who died in Shakur Basti. “Death due to shock as a result of chest and head injury due to blunt force impact,” the report says.
- Child had died before the demolition drive. Despite repeated notices, the encroachers did not vacate the place, Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu said in Lok Sabha.
- I will meet Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal today to discuss how to tackle encroachment issues in other areas too, the minister said.
- Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi visited Shakur Basti area to meet the people affected by the demolition drive.
- “We will try to help you. We will do all to help you people…I will raise the issue in Parliament,” Rahul Gandhi told locals.
- “You know we are not in government here. AAP ki sirkar hai…BJP ki sirkaar hai…(AAP, and BJP are in government.) But I assure you of all help,” the leader told the people surrounding him.
- Earlier, Rahul blamed the AAP for the demolition. “Why are they (AAP) protesting? They are in power,” Rahul said referring to AAP protests at Parliament in the morning.
- Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal responded to Rahul’s remark by calling him a kid. “Rahul Gandhi is still a child. His party has probably not informed him that railways comes under the central government and not under the Delhi government,” Kejriwal tweeted http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/live-child-died-before-demolition-drive-says-railway-minister-suresh-prabhu/1/546321.html