M T Saju TNN , dec 9,2012
THENI: A dalit priest, who was prevented from entering a temple in Theni district, allegedly committed suicide on Friday. Police said S Nagamuthu, 23, left behind a note saying he was threatened by some non-dalit members of the temple administration committee and police officers to withdraw a case he had filed against them.
On September 17, TOI had reported that Nagamuthu, a priest with the Kailasanathar temple at T Kallupatti village, was asked by the committee members not to enter the temple and perform puja. When Nagamuthu questioned the decision, he was allegedly beaten up. With the help of some activists, Nagamuthu filed a petition in the Madurai bench of the Madras high court, which directed the police to do a proper investigation. The Thenkarai police registered an FIR on August 2 based on his complaint.
Nagamuthu’s father K Subburaj said he was under pressure to withdraw the case. “He was threatened by influential people to withdraw it. My son was scared. He mentioned the names of seven people, who threatened him, in his suicide note.”
- Pregnant dalit woman gang-raped #Vaw #torture #wtfnews (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Woman who married dalit knocks on HC door for cover (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #Gujarat-Dalit Blood Taints Narendra Modi’s Claims (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Gujarat cops used AK-47 on Dalits, says top officer (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- # India-The murder of a Dalit girl and the silence over it #Vaw (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Inter-caste marriage sparks riot in Tamil Nadu, 148 dalit houses torched (kractivist.wordpress.com)