Compiled by Dr Anant Bhan’
HIV/AIDS drugs and diagnostic kits will be cheaper
– Portable X-ray machines will be more expensive
– Health budget 2014-15 Rs 30,145.00 cr; AIDS Control: 1,785 cr; AIIMS like inst 1,456 cr (Rupee figures via Vidya Krishnan on Twitter)
– The science and technology department has received an allocation of Rs 3,544 crore, an 11 per cent increase over last year’s figures, and the highest increase among the departments associated with scientific and medical research. The allocation for biotechnology is Rs 1,517 crore, only Rs 15 crore (0.9 %) higher than last year’s outlay (Source: http://www.telegraphindia.com:8080/1140711/jsp/nation/story_18603323.jsp#.U79RL_ldWM5)
-“In an attempt to provide Health for All, the Government will introduce two key initiatives i.e. the Free Drug Service and Free Diagnosis Service which would be taken up on priority.
-The Government is to set up two National Institutes for Ageing at AIIMS, New Delhi and Madras Medical College, Chennai
– A national levelresearch and referral Institute for higher dental studies would be set up in one of the existing Dental institutions.
– It is also planned to set up AIIMS like institutes in Andhra Pradesh, West Bengal, Maharashtra and Uttar Pradesh (Rs 500 crores allotted). ”
-The Central Government has decided to set up fifteen Model Rural Health Research Centres in the States for better health care facilities in rural India, which shall take up research on local health issues concerning rural population
– At present, 58 Government Medical Colleges have been approved and proposed to add 12 more such colleges. In addition, dental facilities would also be provided in all the hospitals.
– The Central Government will provide assistance to strengthen the States Drug Regulatory and Food Regulatory Systems by creating new drug testing laboratories and strengthening the 31 existing State laboratories
– Proposed to establish National level institute for Mental Health Rehabilitation
– Pay more for #tobacco products, pan masala and aerated drinks with sugar (“I propose to increase the specific excise duty on cigarettes in the range of 11 percent to 72 percent. Similar increases are proposed on cigars,cheroots and cigarillos. Likewise, the excise duty is being increased from 12percent to 16 percent on pan masala, from 50 percent to 55 percent onunmanufactured tobacco and from 60 percent to 70 percent on gutkha and chewingtobacco. I also propose to levy an additional duty of excise at 5 percent on aeratedwaters containing added sugar. These are healthy measures and I hope everyonewould welcome them from the point of view of human and fiscal health.”)
– The Government intends to cover every household by total #sanitation by the year 2019, the 150th year of the Birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi through Swatchh Bharat Abhiyan
-. It is proposed to earmark Rs 3,600 crore under National Rural Drinking Water Programme for providing safe drinkingwater in approximately 20,000 habitations affected with arsenic, fluoride, heavy/toxic elements, pesticides/ fertilizers through community water purification plants in next 3 years.
– Biotech clusters in Bangalore and Faridabad
– Global partnerships will be developed under India’s leadership totransform the Delhi component of the International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (ICGEB) into a world-leader in life sciencesand biotechnology.
– A national programme in Mission Mode is urgently required to halt thedeteriorating malnutrition situation in India, as present interventions are notadequate. A comprehensive strategy including detailed methodology, costing,time lines and monitorable targets will be put in place within six months.