Please find below the citizens statement on Koodankulam drafted by Mr.Praful Bidwai and Mrs. Lalita Ramdas.
In thelight of recent news arrest of the Russian supplier ZiO-Podolsk chieffor a scam related to sub-standard equipments, the statement callsfor an independent enquiry into the plant’s safety issues, somethingthat the people’s agitation has been demanding from day one. Theformer chairman of India‘s Atomic Energy Regulatory Board has alsodemanded a moratorium on the reactor pending an independent enquiry.
Thestatement also appeals for transparency on vital safety issues inKoodankulam.
Coalitionfor Nuclear Disarmament and Peace
Citizens Statement Demanding Independent Enquiry into Koodankulam Safety
Recent developments in Koodankulam, which highlight grave technology-related problems with the first nuclear reactor, take the shocking failures of the operator, Nuclear Power Corporation, to a new low.
The Atomic Energy Regulatory Board was forced to admit to the existence of sub-standard and unsafe equipment in the reactor only after a major scandal concerning a Russian sub-supplier firm was brought to light by the ongoing people’s movement against the project. However, the admission came only after the nuclear establishment’s denial tactic manifestly failed. Former AERB Chairman Dr. A. Gopalakrishnan has unequivocally and publicly opposed the commissioning of the plant and trashed the AERB’s admission and assurances.
We urge that an independent enquiry must be conducted into the safety aspects of the Koodankulam reactors, including the supply of sub-standard equipment, vulnerability of the reactor pressure vessel,and the fraudulent post-dated environmental clearance given to the desalination unit. Till then, a moratorium on the reactor’s start-up must be imposed in Koodankulam.
- AERB’s sloppy sarkari reply on Koodankulam (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Koodankulam Must Be Stopped: Dr. A Gopalakrishnan #nuclear (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Koodankulam: THE HINDU’s Bias Stands Exposed #Censorship #Medua (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- NPCIL,AERB and KKNPP Dodge the Substandard Equipment Issue (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Five men have been killed in KKNPP in 3 months mostly due to electric shock (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Koodankulam – The coast is not clear (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Evidence of substandard equipment from Zio-Podolsk in Koodankulam (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India – Children of Koodankulam: Growing Up With The Struggle #mustread (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India- Growing Up With The Struggle #Koodankulam #mustread (kractivist.wordpress.com)