SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT, The Hindu
They charged the government with diverting Rs. 17,000 crore allotted for Dalit welfare during the last 10 years on its publicity programmes
The Dalita Hakkula Porata Samiti took out a rally from the Collectorate to Ambedkar statue here on Saturday as part of its district unit’s 3rd Mahasabha and to express solidarity with the victims of attack at Lakshmipeta in Srikakulam district.
At a public meeting held at the conclusion of the rally, in which a large number of students and women participated, CPI’s Legislature Party Leader Gunda Mallesh demanded that the government complete the process of bringing in the SC, ST Sub-Plan Act and sanction budget to Dalits based on their population.
He charged the government with diverting Rs. 17,000 crore allotted for Dalit welfare during the last 10 years on its publicity programmes.
He regretted that many laws made for Dalit welfare were not being implemented and attacks on Dalits continued unabated while the government was not taking stern steps.
Honorary president of the district unit J.V. Prabhakar, secretary B. Venkata Rao, president V. Jayaprakash, CPI’s district secretary J.V. Satyanarayana Murthy, MLC M.V.S. Sarma, former Minister Ch. Ayyanna Patrudu, former MLA G. Demudu and leaders of several Dalit organisations and intellectuals spoke.
The meeting commenced after the leaders garlanded the statue of Dr. Ambedkar.
A meeting of DPHS would be held at the Ambedkar Bhavan, Marripalem, on Sunday.
- Odisha: Dalit woman tonsured, assaulted; 10 arrested (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Sivakami, first Dalit woman to become a novelist #goodnews (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Fact Finding Report: Gang Rape of Dalit Girl , Haryana #vaw (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- India- Dalit students being discriminated, served left over mid-day meals (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Girish Karnad supports dalit protest singers (kabirkalamanch.wordpress.com)
- A Feminist in Pieces #gender #mustread (kractivist.wordpress.com)