15th October 2012
Contributing Writer for Wake Up World
On November 6th this year all of us that despise GMOs and Monsanto will be waiting with bated breath for the outcome of one single proposition that, if passed, could topple the GMO empire in the United States and trickle down to other countries around the world.
Proposition 37, the California Right to Know Genetically Engineered Food Act,
is a citizen generated ballot initiative for mandatory labeling of GMO products in California. If Proposition 37 is voted in, it will:
a) Require labeling on raw or processed food offered for sale to consumers if the food is made from plants or animals with genetic material changed in specified ways.
b) Prohibit labeling or advertising such food as “natural.”
c) Exempt from this requirement foods that are “certified organic; unintentionally produced with genetically engineered material; made from animals fed or injected with genetically engineered material but not genetically engineered themselves; processed with or containing only small amounts of genetically engineered ingredients; administered for treatment of medical conditions; sold for immediate consumption such as in a restaurant; or alcoholic beverages.”
Friends, this is the moment we have been waiting for. This is our most promising opportunity to achieve what we have all been working so hard for, for so long. If we don’t win this, we may never have the chance again.
According to the Organic Consumers Association, we are currently ahead 3 to 1 in California on this vote (passing Prop 37). But we can’t rest easy. Monsanto and other biotech companies know how big this is. Recent statistics show they have already contributed some 37 million dollars to television ads full of misinformation and lies as a last-ditch effort to defeat Proposition 37. They have succeeded with these tactics in the past in other states.
We cannot let them win this time.
Many states have tried to adopt GMO labeling legislation in the past and failed because the legislation was not citizen generated and government officials cowered under threats of a lawsuit by Monsanto. The most recent was Vermont. California is the eighth largest economy in the world, if it were considered a country. Passing this legislation will set a precedent for GMO labeling in other states. Many experts say that if Prop 37 passes in California, GMO labeling might as well be a national law. This is what we want.
Believe it or not, many Americans still don’t even know what a GMO is.
When foods are labeled as GMO, even Monsanto admits it is equivalent to putting a skull and crossbones on it. Sales will plummet; the good word on bad GMOs will spread like wildfire. This is what we want, and now is our chance to deliver the fatal blow to the GMO horror machine.
90% of Americans want GMO labeling. Why don’t we have it? You know the answer—power, greed, money, lies, and corruption at the expense of our health. Let’s all do our part now to make sure the majority of Californians know what’s up. We don’t want Monsanto and friends to have any chance at winning. Here is what you can do; please do this today so that we have as much time as possible for the word to spread:
1. Send an email to everyone you know in California and tell them to vote YES ON PROP 37.
2. Post this on your FB page, along with this link to this article:
- California friends, please vote YES on Prop 37 this November for the mandatory labeling of GMOs in our food.
- Please tell all your California email and Facebook contacts to vote “YES on Prop 37.
3) Please join GEM (GMO Eradication Movement).
It is safe to say that the future of food, our own health, and the health of our planet hinges on this vote, now less than one month away. If we don’t win this, we will have lost a crucial chance, and perhaps our last good chance for a while. If we do win this, we will have the biggest party ever!
Please do your part, today. WE need YOU.
Video: Right to Know: Vote Yes on Prop 37… Funny Short Ad!!!
Previous articles by Jack Adam Weber
- Oneness in Action: The GMO Eradication Movement
- GMO 101 (and Where We are Now)
- GMO Propaganda: The Fight is On
- 11 Steps for GMO Eradication: Help Grow the “GEM”
- The Heart of Transformation: How Courageous Is Your Love?
About the Author
Jack Adam Weber is a licensed acupuncturist, master herbalist, author, organic farmer, celebrated poet, and activist for Earth-centered spirituality. He integrates poetry, ancient wisdom, holistic medicine, and depth psychology into passionate presentations for personal fulfillment as a path to planetary transformation. His books, artwork, and provocative poems can be found at his website PoeticHealing.com. Jack can be reached at [email protected] or on Facebook
- A Farm Bill Only Monsanto Could Love (familysurvivalprotocol.com)
- Is The End of Monsanto Near? Prop 37 Succeeding as Nations Ban GMO Crops (dprogram.net)
- Die Monsanto Die !!!! Prop 37 Succeeding as Nations Ban GMO Crops (toolwielder.wordpress.com)
- Is The End of Monsanto Near? Prop 37 Succeeding as Nations Ban GMO Crops (naturalsociety.com)
- Monsanto Spends $4 Million to Sabotage California GMO Labeling Initiative (dprogram.net)
- Could Prop. 37 Kill Monsanto’s GM Seeds? (motherjones.com)
Leave a Reply