Prevent and Respond to End Violence against Women and Girls
We, the undersigned women’s organizations and concerned citizens, express our strong condemnation of the rising incidence of heinous crimes against women and girls in Delhi. This continues in spite of an unrelenting campaign by women’s groups and civil society over the past many months. The recent rape and sexual torture of a 5-year old girl in Delhi once again highlights that the police and administration continue to respond to crimes against women casually, in gross violation of the law.
Delhi and the National Capital Region is not a safe place for women and girls, either inside the home, in workplaces or on the streets. This is evident from the ever-increasing incidents of rape and other sexual crimes against women and girls. This is a shameful indicator of the inadequate response and abject failure of State agencies to uphold the rights and safety of women. It is time that the government and its entire machinery, including the police, institute mechanisms and practices that will end impunity for all forms of violence against women..
We call on the Delhi Police to carry out efficient and time-bound investigations and take measures to ensure a speedy trial leading to stringent punishment in all cases of sexual violence. The police must also ensure that they take urgent necessary steps to ensure a competent, legal and sensitive responses by its personnel at all levels. We can wait no longer.
We demand that the following measures be undertaken by the police authorities on an emergency basis:
2. Action against supervising Police Officers – SHO – for failure to discharge their responsibility in supervising the investigation.
3. Action against all concerned police personnel of P.S. Gandhinagar, for failure to comply with the directive of the Supreme Court of India to immediately register a case of a ‘missing child’ and promptly investigate the same.
4. Investigation into the allegation of bribe to the parents to hush up the case.
6. Increased sensitization, effective investigation and accountability of the police at all levels in dealing with all crimes against women and girls.
7. Immediate relief, legal and medical assistance, and long term rehabilitation measures including counselling to be provided to survivors of rape, through necessary referrals and without delays.
8. Ensure that all areas that are vulnerable and unsafe be referred to the appropriate authorities to improve infrastructure to make cities safer for women and girls.
and many women and progressive organiations
- Delhi minor Rape – Time to teach Delhi Police a Lesson ? #Vaw (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- DELHI – Protest by women’s groups at Jantar Mantar @April22 #Vaw #Rape (kractivist.wordpress.com)