NOIDA: A fire in the lower floors of a Greater Noida building which houses the data centre of the government’s ambitious Unique ID Project has put at risk the personal and biometric records of 20 crore Indian residents.
A UID spokesman confirmed there was a fire in the ‘Knowledge Park’ building at Greater Noida on Saturday, which houses a UID data centre.
The data centre on the third floor is a small subset of the main data centre in Bangalore, said the spokesman.
“Little data was being stored here. Nonetheless, no data is harmed as we have a back up at 3-4 locations across the country,” the spokesman said. He added that fire did not reach the upper floor which houses the data centre.
About 150 out of the about 250 servers at the facility have been rendered unusable because of the carbon soot deposition from the fire, according sources at UIDAI. Networking equipment of Cisco and storage equipment by EMC was also damaged in the incident.
The accident puts a big question mark over safety of data being collected from about 1.2 billion Indian residents and being housed in risk prone facilities.
Last week, the government awarded a Rs 87 crore contract to Delhi based Tulip Telecom which will manage data centres for UIDAI in Bangalore for 3 years. The Bangalore based Tulip data centre will house the records of 1.2 billion Indian residents, with a back up in other places.
- Why UIDAI has not given any data with respect to money? (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- A tale of errors #UID #AADHAR #Nandan Nilekani (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Aadhaar Round-Up: UID Vs Resident ID; UID In Jharkhand and Delhi & More (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- UIDAI bites the dust as resident ID card gets nod #AADHAR #Nandan nilekani (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Social Development Programmes and UID Aadhar Pilots (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- ‘Prime Minister to announce UID-Aadhar linked bank accounts’ (kractivist.wordpress.com)