Goenchi Mati Manifesto
Calling all parties to protect our children’s inheritance
In light of the Goa CM Pramod Sawant’s announcement about the restart of iron ore mining, the Goenchi Mati Movement asks all political parties and Goans to support its Manifesto for fair mining.
GOA : The Goenchi Mati Movement is asking for the implementation of some simple Constitutional principles in the management of our natural resources, especially the State of Goa’s mineral wealth. The Movement requests all people-friendly political parties to support and to incorporate the Goenchi Mati Manifesto into their party platforms. We have developed a win-win solution to a very vexed issue (mining) that is of great importance and concern to voters. While the manifesto was developed in 2016, it remains valid even today.
The manifesto revolves around the Goenchi Mati Principles, which are:
1. We, the people of Goa, own the mineral in common. The state government is merely a trustee of natural resources for the people and especially future generations (Public Trust Doctrine).
2. As we have inherited the minerals, we are simply custodians and must pass them on to future generations (Intergenerational Equity).
3. Therefore, if we mine and we sell our mineral resources, we must ensure zero loss, ie. capture of the full economic rent (sale price minus cost of extraction, cost including reasonable profit for miner). Any loss is a loss to all of us and our future generations.
4. All receipts from minerals must be saved in the Goenchi Mati Permanent Fund. Similar proposals are already implemented all over the globe. Like the minerals, the Permanent Fund will also be part of the commons. The Supreme Court has ordered the creation of a Permanent Fund for Goan iron ore and already Rs. 94 crores is deposited.
5. Any real income (after inflation) from the Goenchi Mati Permanent Fund must only be distributed to all as a right of ownership, a Citizen’s Dividend. This is like the comunidade zonn, but paid to everyone.
6. The implementation of these principles will be done in a transparent participatory process with the people of Goa.
The manifesto revolves around the implementation of the Intergenerational Equity (IE) principle, which calls on Goans to ensure that our future generations inherit at least as much as we did. It provides an economically beneficial plan on mining going forward. It also suggests an interim plan for mining dependent. It places a priority for dump mining and land restoration over fresh mining. And concerns of the mining affected are also reflected.
Further, we believe this manifesto produces a fair outcome for all mining stakeholders. In summary,
– Mining dependent will benefit
– Mining affected will benefit
– Government of Goa will benefit
– People of Goa will benefit
– Future citizens of Goa will benefit
– Miners can get up to 20% return but not beyond.
Andrea Rodericks from the Goenchi Mati Movement said: “The Goenchi Mati Manifesto proposes a model for mining that honors our constitution and protects the rights of the children and of future generations of Goa. It also dramatically reduces the potential for looting that is associated with mining, which has caused tremendous environmental, economic and social damage in Goa. We call on all political parties and all independent MLAs to explicitly support our Manifesto. This is the future we need, we have a vision for our future, now it requires political will and support.”
Rahul Basu from the Goenchi Mati Movement said: “Supporting the manifesto is a critical step in changing the trajectory of Goa’s society and economy. Goa has the opportunity to be a beacon of hope in a dark world. I hope Goans from all walks of life, especially the mining dependent, the mining affected, the business community, and anyone who cares about what is right show leadership and courage and publicly support our manifesto.”
The Goenchi Mati Manifesto is available at goenchimati.org/manifesto. It is available in English, Devnagari & Romi Konkani, Marathi, Hindi, Portuguese and Kannada. Audio versions are available in Konkani, Marathi & Hindi.
Show your support at goenchimati.org/support. Aamchi Mati Aamka Zai!
Leave a Reply