Some good news for embattled and weary Indian feminists. All those endless submissions to the Verma Committee prepared and submitted, all those critiques of the Ordinance written and disseminated, all those street protests, all those meetings with students and the public, all those delegations to government officials, ministers…not to mention decades of efforts to amend the rape laws.
It’s been a long hard haul, so it’s a great relief that the Harvard Law School has stepped in to take this burden off our shoulders.
A post on the Delhi gang rape on the Harvard College Women’s Centre website has announced that a Policy Task Force titled “Beyond Gender Equality” has been convened to offer recommendations to India and other South Asian countries in the wake of the New Delhi gang rape and murder. Diane Rosenfeld, Director of the Gender Violence Clinic at Harvard Law School and Professor Jacqueline Bhabha, will head this group.
Their principal task this semester is to produce a working paper that advises on the implementation of the recommendations from the Verma Committee. The committee in a bold move, points out the need to reassess the military powers that are allowed to operate with impunity in conflict zones. Part of our discussion will focus on real reparations and support for survivors of sexual violence, in a manner that allows them to function as integrated members of their communities.
It’s so good to know that there are Harvard Professors to make all the “bold moves” that Indian feminists have never made.
Attack the impunity of security forces? Now that’s a bold move indeed – would any of us shy Indian women be so bold as all that? I wonder where the Verma Committee got that crazy idea from?
Posts on Kafila on the Justice Verma Committee and the Ordinance
Also check out the reports on Feminists India
- #India- Rape Debate Widens in India #Vaw (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- PRESS RELEASE- #India – President urged not to Sign the Ordinance by Women’s Organizations (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India- Failure of governance root cause of crimes against women: #Vermacommittee #Vaw (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India – Changes in Criminal Law vs Justice Verma Recommendations #Vaw (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India-The Official Emergency Continues – The Ordinance on Sexual Assault #Vaw (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Why the Govt’s Ordinance is an Eyewash and a Mockery of the Justice Verma Recommendations (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- India Rape Ordinance Blasted by Female Activists #Vaw #AFSPA #womenrights (kractivist.wordpress.com)