Furquan Ameen Siddiqui , Hindustan Times   November 03, 2013

During a lecture at the Center for Global Development in Washington earlier this year, UIDAI chairman Nandan Nilekani, explained how millions born without any formal registration in India can now demand services and social benefits with Aadhaar.

The project received a setback when the Supreme Court on September 23 said that Aadhaar cannot be made mandatory for availing welfare scheme benefits.

Aadhaar has been courting serious doubts, confusion and uncertainty since its launch in September 2010. Even before the initiation of UID, Nilekani projected Aadhaar as a project that will resolve challenges of identity, financial inclusion, corruption, direct benefit transfers and subsidy reforms.


But could a mammoth programme to collect biometric data of billions of Indians become a key tool to fight poverty and their integration into global economy?

On October 29, Nilekani announced a Aadhaar Diffusion Project jointly set up with Nasscom, in an attempt to encourage entrepreneurs to develop software applications and services using Aadhaar as a platform — to create apps. But there are many who oppose UIDAI for being intrusive.

“The information collected can be used for data profiling or constant surveillance,” says Usha Ramanathan, a law researcher who has been studying UID since its inception.

Over the last year, more and more states and government agencies were making Aadhaar’s use mandatory for a host of services, from buying cooking gas to registering marriages, renting houses.

“The idea was to replace several other forms of documentation. But now with SC strictures on Aadhaar there is confusion again on its fate,” says Bibek Debroy, economist and policy analyst at Centre for Policy and Research.

With the cabinet clearing a bill to give legal backing to UIDAI and probably answer many concerns, the common man is meanwhile still grappling with the confusion on the importance of this unique number to avail benefits and services.

From birth to death:  Caught in a web of documentation

Congratulations! You’re born


Get a birth certificate (No charges)


Application on a plain paper with a proof of birth which includes statement by medical officer in hospital, persons in charge in case of a birth in jail, dharamshala or by police station in-charge if found in a deserted place.

Affidavit specifying place, date, time and name of the child

Proof of address from head of the family

Mandatory to register within 21 days under Registration of Births & Deaths Act, 1969. Issued by Registrar of births and deaths, local municipal body

Off to school



Birth certificate as a proof of age

Proof of address of parent(s)

A medical certificate mentioning records of vaccination, blood group

Below Poverty Line card, income certificate of parent(s) and an affidavit declaring the distance of residence from the school, is required for applying in the EWS category

A Transfer Certificate from the previous school is required while changing schools later in the school life

Going to college

Apply for:

Admission in UG course



Proof of age (birth certificate/school-leaving certificate for those born before 1989)

Proof of identity and proof of permanent residence

Domicile certificate (issued by state) to avail domicile quotas in institutions

BPL card of parent(s)to avail fee concession

Caste certificate (SC/ST /OBC certificates) to apply for reserved seats

Sports certificates to avail seats reserved under sports quota

Study abroad


Proof of age, identity, residence, eligibility and work experience (if any)

Passport, certificates from High School, Senior Secondary, Graduation or Post Graduation degree (if completed), Diploma certificates

Proof of financial support/income certificate of parent(s)

Student visa

A student loan


College admission letter

Collateral documents like property deeds or policies of the guarantor

Proof of identity and residence of the guarantor

Income certificate from the guarantor

First trip abroad



Proof of age (Birth certificate)

Proof of permanent or temporary residence (rent agreement)

For minor applicants, residence proof of parent(s) is applicable

Medical certificate stating vaccination records as specified by individual countries

Travel visa

Issued by Consular, Passport and Visa Division of the Ministry of External Affairs

You are an adult now

Eeligible to vote and get a Driving Licence

Voter ID card (No charges)


Birth certificate as age proof (or school-leaving certificate)

Proof of residence

Driving Licence (Rs 50 to Rs. 500)



Proof of age (birth certificate, school certificate) and proof of residence

Application for learner’s licence is required before applying for a permanent one

All documents are required for a fresh licence along with a requisition letter, in case of an address change. Plus, you need to surrender your licence.

Post Graduation


Birth certificate to establish age (or a school-leaving certificate)

Proof of identity and proof of permanent residence/temporary (rent agreement)

Domicile certificate (residence certificate) to avail domicile quotas in educational institutions

BPL card of parent(s) to avail concession in fees

Caste certificate (SC/ST /OBC certificates) to apply for reserved seats

Certificate of graduation

Apply for first job



Proof of identity and proof of permanent/temporary residence

School certificates, Diploma, Graduation or PG degrees

Permanent Account Number (PAN)

Caste certificate for reserved seats

Get a PAN card (Rs 94 for Indian resident, Rs. 744 for NRI)


Proof of identity

Proof of permanent/temporary residence

Used in filing tax returns, many financial transactions

Get a job card under MGNREGA (No charges)


An application for registration through the prescribed form, which the Gram Panchayat verifies later and issues a card

Getting hitched? Paperwork ahead

Change of name, address and bank details

Get marriage certificate (Rs 100 to Rs. 150)



Application form signed by both husband and wife

Evidence of date of birth of both

Address proof of husband and previous address of wife

Affidavit stating place, date of marriage, date of birth, marital status at the time of marriage and nationality

Marriage invitation card from both the parties

Change of address/name of wife (Charges vary)


Affidavit citing a name change

A copy of current identity

Copies of newspaper advertisement of name change and Gazette notification

Husband’s identity and address proof if taking his surname

Marriage certificate

Looking after your family

Your child is born

Get Birth Certificate (Free)


Application of a form along with proof of birth by head of the family or person in charge

Affidavit specifying place, date, time and name of the child

Proof of address and identity

Get your family insured

Life Insurance (Charges vary)


Proof of age

Proof of residence and identity

Income proof

Ration card (Rs 10 to Rs. 25)


Proof of residence

Form attested by the Circle FSO, area councillor or village sarpanch

Income certificate for a BPL card

Purchase your dream home

Home loan (Charges vary)


Identity and residence proof

Salary slip or Income certificate

Form 16 and bank statements for past six months

Property registration (Charges vary)


Sale deed and transfer permission from development authority

NOC from state authorities

Copy of approved building plan

Proof of ownership

Life after retirement

Apply for Pension



Permanent Retirement Account Number (PRAN)

Proof of identity and permanent residence

Income certificate

Details of bank account (joint account of husband and wife)

Last salary slip

Make a will (Charges vary)


A signed and attested will in presence of two witnesses

Register the will with the Registrar of Assurances

In absence of a will, a death certificate can be used to inherit property

Death Certificate (No charges)


Application on a plain paper with a proof of death (includes statement by medical officer, persons in charge in case of a death in jail, dharamshala or by police station in-charge if found in a deserted place.

Certificate from the graveyard or cremation authority

Register with the Registrar of births and deaths, municipal authority