All India | Edited by Surabhi Malik | Updated: January 09, 2014
Gandhinagar: Self-styled godman Asaram Bapu was today booked for allegedly raping one of two Surat-based sisters who stayed at his ashram in Gujarat between 1997 and 2006.
In a charge-sheet filed against him in a Gandhinagar court, the spiritual guru has also been accused of illegal confinement and criminal conspiracy. Five others, including his wife and daughter, have also been booked by the police.
This is the second case of sexual assault against Asaram Bapu, who is lodged in a jail in Rajasthan since August last year. He was arrested on charges of sexually assaulting a teenage girl at his ashram in Jodhpur. Later, two Surat-based sisters who stayed at his ashram in Gujarat accused him and his son, Narayan Sai, of rape. (Cops are wrong, Narayan Sai did not admit to rape, says lawyer)
In her complaint, the elder of the two sisters has accused Asaram of repeated sexual assault during the time she lived in his ashram on the outskirts of Ahmedabad city. Asaram Bapu has denied all charges against him. (Asaram Bapu raped teen, aides helped organise the crime, says police)
His son Narayan Sai, against whom the younger of the two sisters has registered a complaint of sexual assault, is currently lodged in a jail in Surat.
Read more here http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/asaram-bapu-accused-of-rape-illegal-confinement-in-charge-sheet-filed-in-gujarat-court-468948
- #India – Surat police to question Asaram Bapu in bribe case (kractivist.org)
- #India – Asaram Bapu’s son Narayan Sai has admitted to rape charges #Vaw (kractivist.org)
- Press Release – Feminists and Activists condemn attack on Shoma Chaudhari (kractivist.org)
- #India – Sexual assault cases on Tejpal, Asaram & Ganguly spotlights powerful predator #Vaw (kractivist.org)
- #India – Tehelka Journalist says she was ‘ Legally Raped ” #Vaw (kractivist.org)
Leave a Reply