DEHRA DUN, December 19, 2012
Kavita was to tie the knot with Mukesh on November 29 but in the course of a pre-wedding ritual on November 25 the man’s family demanded a dowry of Rs. 1 lakh from the girl’s parents, who expressed their inability to pay the amount.
This angered Kavita’s prospective in-laws who threatened to snap the marriage deal if they did not receive the amount, the police said. Kavita then broke her silence and refused to marry into a “greedy” family, they said.
Praising the girl for her bold step, I-G (Law & Order) Ram Singh Meena offered her a cheque for Rs. 5,100, a shawl and a bouquet as a token of appreciation at a function here in the presence of senior police officers.
“Kavita’s brave act of refusal to marry a man from a greedy family is exemplary and should inspire other girls caught in similar situations,” Mr. Meena said addressing the gathering. – PTI
- #India-Husband shaves off woman’s head as punishment for not giving more dowry #Vaw #wtfnews (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Dowry Death – Husband arrested , North Delhi councillor, daughter found dead #VAW (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- I am Sumita from Chennai. My husband and in laws harass me for dowry. He refuses to live with me… #Vaw (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India- Supreme Court issues directions to curb ‘eve teasing”#VAW #mustshare #goodnews (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Dowry Extortions in “Love Marriages” too! (genderbytes.wordpress.com)