“A lot of experts and jurists have told me that life imprisonment is more severe than the death penalty for rapists,” he said. He, however, said these are his personal views. “Let’s wait for the final report of the committee, which will be out by the end of this month,” he added.
Amid clamour over existing rape laws in the country, a three-member committee of jurists was formed on December 24 to suggest amendments to criminal law to sternly deal with sexual assault cases.
The draft proposal of Congress last week, too, had recommended life imprisonment even as the party’s women’s wing had come out in support of capital punishment for rapists and repeat offenders.
The law minister said reason for pendency of cases and low rate of conviction was dearth of judicial officers in lower courts and judges in higher courts.
“We are facing a huge shortage of people in the judiciary to dispose of cases. Which is why I have sought the prime minister’s intervention to set up dedicated fast-track courts with a deadline of three months for disposing the cases,” he said.
He, however, said his government was looking at introducing a mechanism to “call back errant judges” as part of the new judicial reforms
- #India -States against #deathpenalty, want rapists to stay in jail for life #goodnews (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- The rapes that India forgot #Vaw (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Submission to Justice Verma by Womens and Progressive Groups and Individuals Condemning Sexual Violence and opposing #Deathpenalty (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Congress not for chemical castration #goodnews #vaw #justice (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- I oppose #deathpenalty, #bobbitization, #chemicalcastration for #Rape will you KILL me ? #ShameonTOI #Vaw (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Kamal Hassan against #deathpenalty for rapists (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Ex-judges not in favour of #deathpenalty to rapists #Justice #Vaw (kractivist.wordpress.com)