DNA Correspondent l @DNA
( pic courtesy- Nitesh Mohanty at the kitab khana event)
A book on Irom Sharmila reiterates the cause she is fighting for.
“Irom’s story has been written in a first-person account and in a non-intellectual way so that people can easily understand and get involved in her cause,” said writer and filmmaker Minnie Vaid.
The book by Vaid, Iron Irom: Two journeys, was released at Kitab Khana on Friday.
“The book is an introduction to Manipur and the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) and the army atrocities because of it. No amount of books written on her are enough. People need to think about her and engage with her issues. The movement has to be to repeal AFSPA,” Vaid said.
Irom, who hails from the strife-torn state of Manipur, has been on a hunger strike for the last 12 years and has urged the government to repeal the draconian law AFSPA after she saw the body of her best friend raped by the members of the Assam Rifles, a unit of the Indian Army at an army camp in Imphal.
Irom, a poet, is also the world’s longest hunger striker.
The Root, which had organised the event, had displayed 60 postcards from India and abroad for Irom. “These were to send her a message that she is not forgotten in a land of busy people,” said Nitesh Mohantay of The Root.
The book was released by actor Abhay Deol.
- #IromSharmila appears before court, refuses to plead guilty #AFPSA #Suicide #Vaw (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Social activist Irom Sharmila to appear in Delhi court today #AFSPA #Vaw (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Irom sharmila will not Adopt a Reconciliatory Position until the # AFSPA Is Repealed #Vaw (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Government scared to grant me my fundamental rights: Irom Sharmila #AFSPA #Vaw (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Irom Sharmila in Delhi, to appear before court over her fast against Armed Forces Special Powers Act (ndtv.com)
Leave a Reply