The father of a 13-year-old girl who was gang-raped died in an ‘accident’, police said on Thursday. The deceased’s family has alleged foul play.

KanpurMarch 10, 2021

One of the accused allegedly threatened the girl of dire consequences if she dared to speak to anyone about the incident.

The father of a minor girl who was allegedly gang-raped by three persons died “in an accident” after being hit by a truck on Wednesday in Uttar Pradesh’s Kanpur. The incident happened when the girl’s father was returning from a hospital, where her medical tests were carried out, accompanied by police officials.

Family alleges foul play

Family members of the victim have alleged that police conspired with the accused to kill the girl’s father. “Police officials conspired with the accused, who is the son of a cop, to kill the girl’s father,” said a family member. The family has blocked the Kanpur-Sagar highway in protest.

Police said that the girl’s father was rushed to a hospital where he was declared brought dead. Police said one of the accused has been arrested.

“An FIR was registered against two people accused of raping the minor girl. The girl was taken to the hospital for a medical test. When her father was returning from the hospital, he was hit by a truck. Police officials took him to a hospital where he was declared dead. One of the accused of girl’s gang-rape has been arrested,” said Kanpur SSP Preetivinder Singh.

What happened

As per a report in PTI, an FIR was registered on Tuesday against Deepu Yadav, his brother Saurabh Yadav and friend Golu Yadav in connection with the gang-rape, Superintendent of Police (rural) Brajesh Srivastava said. Deepu and Saurabh are sons of a police sub-inspector, officials said.

Srivastava said the girl had gone out to collect fodder for cattle on Monday when she was kidnapped by the accused and taken to an unknown place, where she was allegedly raped by Deepu and Golu.

Saurabh allegedly threatened the girl of dire consequences if she dared to speak to anyone about the incident, the SP said. The girl, however, managed to reach her house in the morning and narrated the incident to her family members, who lodged a complaint with the police, reported PTI.