Last of encounter cops Tarun Barot gets bail
Saeed Khan,TNN | Jun 27, 2015
Deputy SP Tarun Barot was arrested along with seven other cops in the 2003 Sadiq Jamal Mehtar encounter case on December 21, 2012. He was the last accused cop who was behind bars in four different encounter cases.
AHMEDABAD: The last of the cops accused in fake encounter cases, Tarun Barot has been granted bail by a special CBI court in connection with the 2003 Sadiq Jamal Mehtar encounter case.

Special judge M M Gandhi has ordered for his release on furnishing bail bond of Rs 1 lakh and at presenting two sureties of Rs 5 lakh each. He has been asked to mark his presence every 15 days at CBI office. He is also ordered not to enter Bhavnagar and Mumbai, where most of the witnesses in this case live. Barot has been asked not to try to tamper with evidence and influence witnesses.

Barot was arrested along with seven other cops in this case on December 21, 2012. He was the last accused cop who was behind bars in four different encounter cases.

Apart from this case, Barot was also arrested in the 2004 Ishrat Jahan fake encounter case, but because the CBI did not file chargesheet within stipulated time allowing five cops including him to get default bail. While other cops in this case were granted bail, Barot’s bail pleas were rejected by the trial court as well as Gujarat high court.

Barot has been accused of taking custody of the Bhavnagar youth from the Mumbai police in the beginning of January 2003 and then keeping him under detention at a premises under possession of the city crime branch at Shahibaug. After killing Sadiq Jamal, the city crime branch dubbed him as an assassin who was sent by the Pakistani terrorist organizations to kill chief minister Narendra Modi in order to avenge the 2002 riots. However, the investigations carried out later by the CBI revealed that Sadiq appeared to be a case of contract killing at the behest of a Dawood Ibrahim gang member.

After fleeing his native Bhavnagar following a gambling case, Sadiq had gone to Dubai as worked as a domestic servant with one Tariq Parveen. He was sent back after he allegedly took up a quarrel with other gang members. He was detained and tortured by cops in Mumbai on the ground of a false report prepared by local intelligence officers.

After keeping Sadiq for a few days in Mumbai, the Maharashtra police handed him over to Gujarat police, who allegedly brought him in Ahmedabad and then bumped him off on January 13, 2003 near Galaxy Cinema at Naroda. The chargesheet revealed that the city crime branch took signature of various people on inquest panchnamas that were not prepared near dead body, but later at the crime branch headquarters.