Mumbai: Yet another cartoonist has become the victim of the ongoing policing by political parties. Cartoonist Aseem Trivedi was on Sunday arrested for allegedly posting “ugly and obscene” content on his web portal.
Trivedi was arrested in Mumbai and produced in a Bandra court later in the day following which he was sent to police custody till September 16.
He was charged with sedition under Section 124 A of the Indian Penal Code. It is a non-bailable offence.
He was also charged under the IT Act and the 1971 National Emblem Act.
The cartoons by Trivedi reportedly depicted Parliament as a commode and showed the national emblem with wolves instead of lions.
The police claimed that Trivedi had earlier exhibited similar cartoons at a rally organised by India Against Corruption (IAC) at the MMRDA grounds in Mumbai in December 2011.
The police have asked the National Broadcasters Association to restrict the broadcast of the cartoon
- Arrest of Cartoonist Aseem Trivedi for #sedition #FOS #FOE #Censorship (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Award Winning Political Cartoonist Aseem Trivedi held for ‘obscene’ matter on net #sediton #FOE (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Indian Cartoonist Aseem Trivedi to be tried For Treason #sedition #WTFnews (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Political Cartoonist charged with #sedition ready to surrender (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Award Winning cartoonist Aseem Trivedi keeps his promise, held (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Arrest Imminent for Indian Cartoonist and Blogger Aseem Trivedi by MUMBAI POLICE #FOE #FOS (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- A cartoonist from a more liberal world #FOE #sedition (kractivist.wordpress.com)
Leave a Reply