August 17, 2012 00:16 IST, Rediff.com
Akbar Ali, convenor of the Muslim welfare association said that those who feel unsafe in their homes are welcome to come to our homes and mosques to take shelter. Ali also told the students that there was no need to worry.
“We will protect you, but please do not leave the city. It is your city as much as ours,” reassured Ali.
The state administration on the other hand is doing all it can to assure the panic-stricken people that they were safe in the city.
Law Minister, Suresh Kumar, when contacted informed that he met with most of the people at the railway station and assured them of their safety. Most of the people want to go home to stay with their parents as there is trouble there.
However, most of those who were leaving the city said that there have been incidents that prompted them to leave the city.
An employee at a firm told rediff.com that her friend had been threatened. She said that her friend was told not to go to office failing which she would be attacked.
The police say that they are monitoring messages and social networking sites to see who was creating this panic.
Though the level of panic has come down as compared to Wednesday, people continue to leave the city. As per the messages being circulated, people from the North-East say that the attacks could go up after the 20th of this month and they do not want to be here at that time.
The Bangalore police meanwhile have sent out a message stating that no incidents have been reported on any attack on citizens from the North-East in Bangalore. “Do not panic or heed to rumours. In case you need help please call the control room,” the message stated.
Vicky Nanjappa in Bangalore
- Indians from Assam flee ‘Muslim threats’ in Bangalore (guardian.co.uk)
- Don’t flee, Muslim leaders say (thehindu.com)
- PM reassures NE people as 11,000 flee Bangalore (ibnlive.in.com)