Source: The Hitavada

Staff Reporter 

Raipur, Mar 7

National Human Rights Commission team during their week long tour to Bastar region recorded the statements of alleged victims of human rights violation and Legal Aid Group lawyers, who were evicted from the area. The team members also held discussions with AAP leader Arvind Gupta, who received threatening letters after he filed FIR on behalf of Soni Sori, the victim of chemical attack by unidentified miscreants at Geedam police station.
It may be mentioned that NHRC team comprising of Sumedha Divedi (IPS), Sanjay Kumar Jain (IPS), two assistant registrars CS Maru, Khawaja Asif and three inspectors Moniya Uttpal, Nitin Kumar and Arun Tayagi arrived in the state after wide-spread reports of human rights violation in Bastar region.
During the visit the team focused their investigation on four incidents including alleged rapes of tribal women in Bijapur and Sukma, attack on female journalist Malini Subramanian, eviction on Legal Aid Group lawyers from Jagdalpur and chemical attack on Soni Sori.
Talking to The Hitavada, Geedam AAP leader Arvind Gupta informed that during the discussion NHRC team asked details regarding chemical attack on party activist Soni Sori. Gupta told to NHRC that he got the news of attack around 11pm (20th Feb). He then rushed to Geedam hospital and informed about incidence to Geedam Town Inspector. Soni Sori was rushed to Jagdalpur and was kept under police protection. Later at the behest of Geedam TI, Gupta filed an FIR at the police station. He also informed the team that after lodging the FIR he and his family members started receiving threat letters. However, after the discussion with Gupta, NHRC team subsequently instructed the Geedam TI to ensure safety of family.
Similarly, Legal Aid Group (Jagdalpur) comprising of lawyers Isha Khandelwal, Shalini Gera and Bivesh Agnihotri were called on by NHRC team in the state capital and recorded their statements regarding the related incidents in Bastar region recently. Meanwhile, Isha Khandelwal, one of the legal group aid members informed the NHRC team that their lawyers, who were fighting cases for the tribals were harassed before being forcefully evicted from the area within 24-hours.