The Odisha Human Rights Commission (OHRC), which on Sunday directed the Twin City Police to inquire into the Ishak Digal missing case, has raised serious question marks on functioning of the Commissionerate Police system.

Seeking a report from the police within seven days, Acting Chairperson of the rights panel Justice BK Mishra said general public is losing faith in the police system due to negligent and lackadaisical attitude of some officers manning police stations. “It puts the entire police administration to great embarrassment, especially the Police Commissionerate. Now time has come to weed out the dead woods,” Justice Mishra stated in the order.

The human rights watchdog asked the Commissioner of Police, BhubaneswarCuttack to get the whole issue probed by a senior officer as Inspector In Charge of Nayapalli Police Station Suryamani Pradhan is charged with serious negligence and allegations of abuse towards the petitioner.

The Commission said, a report must also be submitted on why Nayaplli Police withheld information from the petitioner about his son’s accident and subsequent hospitalisation after meeting with a serious accident on June 5 night. Cremation of Ishak’s body without making any effort to establish his identity and disposing it of without observing the rules and procedure must also be inquired into, it added.

In his petition, Pabitra had alleged that when he met the IIC of Nayapalli Police Station seeking registration of his complaint on June 5, he was abused and driven away. After Bhubaneswar DCP’s instruction three days later, the complaint was registered but no action was taken.

The OHRC chief also asked the Commissioner of Police to direct Mangalabag Police Station to produce copies of the post mortem examination report and treatment papers in connection. All these reports must be furnished within seven days, Justice Mishra said.

Ishak Digal of Salia Sahi slum had gone missing on June 8 near his house and his parents lodged a missing person’s report at the Nayapalli police station. He had met with an accident near Biju Patnaik College Square under the same police limits on June 8 evening. However, such was the inefficiency of Nayapalli police that neither did they attempt to identify the boy nor inform the parents who had filed a missing report.

A critically injured Ishak was shifted to SCB Medical College and Hospital where he succumbed next day. With none to identify and claim the body, Ishak was cremated by Mangalabag Police on June 12 but till then Nayapalli Police simply had no clue about it.

Meanwhile, Bhubaneswar Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) Satybratta Bhoi suspended Nayapalli police station ASI and diary charge officer NC Swain. Inspector In-Charge Suryamani Pradhan was slapped a show-cause notice. Pradhan has been asked to explain why he should not be suspended for dereliction of duty in such a sensitive case.