March 1, 2013
Kamayani Bali Mahabal
I am rising for an incarcerated tribal teacher Soni Sori , a woman who juggled several roles – a tribal journalist, activist, teacher, mother of three young kids. A woman who dared to speak against the interests of the Chhattisgarh State and mining companies. A woman who did not succumb to the emotional, physical, sexual harassment targeted at breaking her spirits in the jail. She, instead, knocked at the conscience of the world outside.
She began her fight against injustice in October 2011, when she was arrested on the charges of being a maoist supporter and brutally, physically and sexually tortured in custody by the Chhattisgarh police.
The announcement of the President’s Police Medal for Gallantry on 63rdRepublic day of India in 2012 for Ankit Garg, the SP of Dantewada is a reflection of the sad state of the Indian Republic .. It was shocking to see that a police officer who was accused of brutalising and torturing the young Adivasi teacher, Soni Sori, was lauded by the State even after reports of perversity of the worst kind in the way he reportedly ordered the torture of Sori in police custody.
ACTIONS YOU CAN TAKE ONLINE
1)–Please sign a petition to president of India to take back his medal here
2—Endorse a letter to Sonia Gandhi for Soni Sori
3)—Send soni sori a post card
4)- Light a candle for soni sori and all women prisoners
This is an online action created by Barduari Studios, an anonymous group, who thought it appropriate to develop something that anyone can use to reffirm their support to the Soni Sori Campaign.
Please light a candle for Soni Sori here: http://www.shareswf.com/game/29150/light-a-candle-for-soni-sori
And do change your facebook coverpage for atleast one day to the ‘light a candle before the Supreme Court‘ given in the banner album. You can also directly take it from our facebook page at www.facebook.com/onebillionrisingforsonisori
If you have blog webiste please embed below widget, its on sonis ori blog as well
Light a candle for soni sori you can embed a widget on your blog, copy and paste below, share widely
[gigya src=”http://www.widgipedia.com/widgets/kractivist/Light-a-Candle-for–Soni-Sori-21753-8192_134217728.widget” quality=”high” wmode=”opaque” width=”300″ height=”200″ bgcolor=”#ffffff” lan=”en” ]
She fought back! She went on hunger strike in jail and protested against the human rights violations and the treatment by the Chhattisgarh Police; she wrote letters tot he court about the situation in prison and continues to speak out whenever she can.
Even after more than a year, Soni has not received justice. Her struggle continues…
Soni Sori has become a symbol of mistreatment of all women prisoners .
Her fight for justice is not just for herself but also for others.
Her letters from Prison which spread like for fire for an International support on March 8th 2012
WE Rise for Soni Sori because:
- Far from being an oppressed and downtrodden woman, as an outspoken critic of the state policies, the mining companies, and the Maoists, Soni Sori is being punished for exerting her democratic right to speak out indefence of her adivasi/ Indigenous community and their traditional lands rather than for a crime she has not even been tried for.
- She is being punished by those who would not have the authority to mete out punishment even if she were guilty of a crime and the form of her punishments are not to be found in any penal code anywhere in the world.
- If the Indian government is not willing to protect women from the illegal actions of its own agents when in their custody, then what message is it sending out to Indian men – that women are fair game just for going out or speaking out?
- The Indian state not only seems to be failing to protect women from sexual and other types of violence, but is in fact sanctioning, indeed rewarding such crimes when they are committed by its employees and representatives to silence women who speak out in defence of human rights.
We Rise Because We Refuse To Support State Violence On Women.
We Rise Because Rape And Violence Against Women Under Any Circumstances is Unacceptable.
We Rise On This International Women’s Day To Demand Freedom for Soni Sori & Punishment For Her Perpetrators.
When: One Billion Rising on March 8th 2013.
Who: People of all gender with head, heart and a strong spine
Where: Here. There. Anywhere. Wherever we have such people.
What: Organise your own ‘One Billion Rising’ action in your city, school, university, work place. Organise it any form you like. Or check the list of events on this page and join the one you can. Don’t worry If you are unable to make it to the streets, there are several online actions: petitions, letters to Indian government. But whatever you decide to do leave a message here so that others can join.
JOIN US ON FACEBOOK
CHECK EVENTS IN YOUR CITY, AND IF YOU DONT FIND ONE ADD , LETS STRIKE,AND PROTEST TOGETHER FOR SONI SORI
Make this post Viral : !!
- #1billionrising- Post Card Campaign for Soni Sori #Vaw (sonisori.wordpress.com)
- Soni Sori acquitted in 4th case; lawyers to move HC for bail #Vaw (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India- Rape Debate Widens in India #Vaw (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- IADHRI Demands Liberty and Justice for All Indian Citizens #India #republicday #vaw (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- PRESS RELEASE- One billion Rising in Mumbai for freedom from fear #1billionrising #reasontorise #vaw #menrise (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- PRESS RELEASE- Demonstration in San Francisco against VAW in India (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- One Billion Rising for Soni Sori: 8th March 2013 and till she is free. (kafila.org)
- #India- Celebrating women’s solidarities! Resisting cultures of violence! #Vaw #Womenrights #womensday (kractivist.wordpress.com)