TNN | Aug 10, 2012, 03.55AM IST
A bench of Chief Justice Bhaskar Bhattacharyaand Justice J B Pardiwala took suo motu cognizance of the issue on basis of a letter from the president of Gujarat Dalit Sangathan, Jayanti Mankadia. The bench sought a reply from the concerned officials in two weeks.
In his letter, Mankadia sought action against the policemen under the Prevention of Atrocity Act for the alleged police action in Rajkot on June 25. He also demanded protection for the victims, who were allegedly tortured by the cops. The applicant has also sought a probe by the National Human Rights Commission.
According to case details, there were clashes between two members of the dalit community and Muslims in Rajkot in June, where primary school teacher and dalit leader Gunavant Rathod was killed. The residents of Ambedkarnagar took out a procession on June 25 to protest the killing. “Immediately after the rally, police forcefully entered residences in Ambedkarnagar and assaulted people, including women and children,” Mankadia alleged.
Rupa Sondarva (16) sustained spinal injuries and is now facing disability for life, he said in the letter adding, “Residents are not only facing multiple FIRs but also fearing retribution from the police and they need protection.” The HC, which decided to treat the letter as a writ petition, appointed advocate Shalin Mehta as amicus curiae to assist in the proceedings. The state government has been maintaining, on the other hand, that the police had to lob teargas shells to disperse the mob, as it blocked the road during the protest. When it did not work, cops took to caning which resulted in injuries to various persons. However, the complaint is to the cont
- Dalit paraded half-naked by cops in Gujarat #Narendramodi (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- The Nai Duniya: Then and now, now and then #Narendramodi #mustread (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Gujarat: Myth and Reality #NarendraModi (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Lewd jokes in mag for Gujarati primary schools # Narendramodi (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Sunday Reading -Satyamev Jayate- Aamir Khan silent on Ambedkar and Reservation ! (kractivist.wordpress.com)