A Sikh man who was asked to leave the overnight camping queue for Wimbledon’s centre court because he was ‘making other people feel uncomfortable’ has spoken out against his treatment.
The tennis-lover, who does not wish to be identified, took to Facebook to voice his anger at being thrown out and accused the club’s overnight security of racism.
He wrote on Friday: ‘Kicked out of the overnight camping line for centre court Wimbledon line “because you make some people around you uncomfortable, so we’re gonna have to report you and ask you to leave immediately, sir”.
The sportsman, who wears a turban, explained: ‘All I wanted was to peacefully chill and patiently await an opportunity to re-enter the hallowed grounds and see the decorated surface while Roger and Milos scamper and glide across it.’
He added: ‘While I was in the queue, I befriended other people who were alone and we started talking.
‘None of them gave me the body language that would indicate I should stop talking. I only spoke to people adjacent to me and everyone was fine.’
‘But then these blonde haired, blue-eyed ex-military security guards came up to me and told me that I was making people “uncomfortable” and I had to leave.
‘It made me think it was very racist, as I was one of three people of colour out of around 120 other people who weren’t ethnic.’
The sportsman, who dreams of becoming the next Andy Murray, was eventually allowed to enter the ground after re-queuing in the line a few hours later and made an official complaint about his treatment.
A spokesperson for Wimbledon said:
We can confirm that a gentleman was asked to leave The Queue at 4.42am this morning (Friday) after a number of complaints from his fellow queuers about his behaviour.
He has previously been warned about his conduct in The Queue on up to six separate occasions during this year’s Championships.
We do acknowledge, however, that in this instance the event safety staff could have provided a better explanation to him. Happily, the same person has been in the Grounds today (Friday) watching the tennis.’
But the man, who is in his 20s, insists he did nothing that would warrant being escorted off the grounds, was not intoxicated, loud or aggressive and had not been previously warned about his behaviour.http://metro.co.uk/2016/07/12/sikh-was-thrown-out-of-wimbledon-queue-for-making-other-people-uncomfortable-6000499/