The Coalition Against Two-child Norm and Coercive Population Policies, the National Alliance on Maternal Health and Human Rights (NAMHHR), the Right to Food Campaign (RTFC), and the Working Group for Children under six (WGCU6) with the support of national networks and NGOs , have been advocating for the removal of these conditionalities with the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare for the last three months.
Our submissions, supported by members of the NRHM Mission Steering Group and the Department, have led to a revised GO on theremoval of conditions related to the two-child norm and age from maternity entitlements like JSY and NMBS by the MoHFWw.e.f. 8 May 2013 , check GO on removal of 2CN in JSY
Our next effort collectively should be directed towards the removal of these disqualifying conditions from the IGMSY (Pilot) scheme of the Ministry of Women and Child to ensure that the universal maternity entitlements promised in the NFSB, will be unconditional.
We also hope that this directive from the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare can now be used in your own states, to advocate for removal of this norm from all other schemes. Please let us know if we can work together or help in this.
In solidarity,Jashodhara, Sejal and Abhijit
*This is despite the fact that the poorest women (including Dalits and Adivasis) who most need these schemes as social support, are usually the ones who have more than two children. These women also have high unmet need for contraception. These women are constrained by the fact that child survival is lowest among them (four times more babies die among the poorest families as compared to the richest) and they desperately need children since the state does not provide adequate social support in old age.
- Coalition Against Two-Child Norm and Coercive Population Policies
- CommonHealth – Coalition for Maternal Neonatal Health and Safe Abortion
- Healthwatch Forum, Bihar
- Healthwatch Forum, Uttar Pradesh
- India Alliance for Child Rights (IACR)
- Jan Swasthya Abhiyan (JSA)
- National Alliance on Maternal Health and Human Rights
- Right to Food Campaign
- Working Group for Children Under 6 (Right to Food Campaign)
- Download GO on removal of 2CN in JSY
- Press Release- Is organising for proper health services for a poor a `criminal activity’ ? #Vaw #Stateoppression (kractivist.wordpress.com)
Leave a Reply