Praja Rajakiya Vedike
Magistrate court grants bail to Northeast people, who were arrested
Mob uses sexually abusive language against the Northeast women
Bangalore, 28 Feb 2014: The ugly face of racism cropped up once again in the city as some local people of Kirloskar Layout in Peenya Police limits attacked a group of Norteast people (hailing from Arunachal Pradesh), who failed to get protection from the police and instead were beaten up and taken into custody by the police, who framed false charges here on Tuesday night and in the early hours of Wednesday.
In the midnight of Tuesday, a neighbour knocked his home and when the Northeast person opened the door he was slapped thrice. The victim, with his friends, was celebrating their local harvest festival, when he was beaten up. And when he called up the police, the Peenya police instead of taking his complaint and providing protection, beat up all the four Northeast men and took them into custody at 1.30 am.
One person from Arunachal Pradesh, Nage Nomo, was injured badly and had bruise marks on his back and other places. On Wednesday morning they were also threatened and abused. A group of people from Praja Rajakiya Vedike, who run the North-East helpline and lawyers from Alternative Law Forum rushed to the police station and tried to settle the issue in an amicable manner. Even in front of the group, some police started making racist comments against the Northeast people and started asking us why you local people are supporting Northeasterners. A big mob of men (local people) have also used sexually abusive language against the Northeast women.
The locals even placed empty packets of condoms in the room of the Northeast people to falsely implicate them and the police appeared to be pressurised by the local leaders and a family member of an MLC.
The police, under the leadership of Sandeep Patil, DCP-North organised a meeting of some local leaders, Northeast leaders, Praja Rajakiya Vedike representatives, Alternative Law Forum representatives for a dialogue to prevent any flare up. Praja Rajakiya Vedike appreciates this initiative.
The four Northeast people arrested under false charges were granted bail by the Magistrate court today.
1. All Police personnel should be sensitised on issues of Northeast, racial diversity and cultural diversity
2. Recruit Northeast people in to Karnataka Police to make it racially diverse
3. State governments of Karnataka and Northeast states, central government, national and state women’s commissions must prevent sexual harassment against Northeast women and ensure their safety
4. Governments should take immediate steps to end racial discrimination and take serious actions against racial labelling (false accusations of drug use, prostitution etc.)
5. Governments should undertake a major public education campaign about cultural diversity, racial diversity through mass media and people-to-people dialogues
Leave a Reply