HASAN SUROOR, The Hindu
Rights activists on Friday held a noisy protest outside the London headquarters of the mining group Vedanta Resources, an FTSE 100 company, calling for it to be delisted from the London Stock Exchange because of its controversial trade practices and human rights record.
The protest coincided with similar demonstrations in India and America.
The company is embroiled in a controversy over its plans to mine tribal land in Orissa regarded sacred by the Dongria Kondh tribe.
Protesters from ‘Foil Vedanta’ and several other campaign groups carried banners highlighting the tribals’ concerns over the environmental threat from Vedanta’s mining activities.
“Vedanta is a London listed company and profits from this affiliation. It is typical of Vedanta to assume they are above the law and above public accountability,” a ‘Foil Vedanta’ spokesperson said.
Keywords: Vedanta protesters, Vedanta headquarters, protest rally
- Faking Happiness- Vedanta Khushi vs Vedanta ki Vedana (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Call for action: Kick #Vedanta out of London for it’s corporate crimes, murder and destruction. (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Activists urge India to scrap British firm’s mining plans (morningstaronline.co.uk)
- UK- acknowledges unethical practices of Indian-owned Vedanta Resources (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- SC stays Bombay High Court order charging Vedanta Aluminium (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- London listed mining company #Vedanta caught before the Mountain of Law (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Alarm bells ring for Vedanta #goodnews for Tribals (kractivist.wordpress.com)
Leave a Reply