1. Shri Manmohan Singh, Prime Minister of India, New Delhi
2. Shri Raman Singh, Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh, Raipur
We, the undersigned, are deeply concerned by the pathetic condition of Soni Sori in Raipur Central Jail. It has been reported that she has been passing blood with her urine, is having difficulty to sit or get up, and has lost considerable weight. Although the Supreme Court, on a petition moved on her behalf has ordered the Chhattisgarh Govt to bring her to AIIMS New Delhi for treatment. The inhuman character of Chhattisgarh Govt was clearly reflected in its stiff opposition to the petition.
It is unfortunate that despite the doctors from NRS Medical Hospital having confirmed that stones had been inserted into her vagina and rectum, Soni Sori has not received proper medical care. We fear for Soni’s life and are outraged and ashamed at this inhuman treatment of a woman in India.
Soni Sori, 35, is an adivasi school teacher from Dantewada who was arrested in New Delhi on Oct 4 2011. She was tortured physically and sexually but neither the state nor the central government has investigated the abuse. Her case has been repeatedly listed up in the Supreme Court but has been postponed every time. Throughout the duration of Soni Sori’s imprisonment, the state has also tried to stifle her communications with the civil society. In January this year, a team from various women’s groups across the country went to Raipur Jail to meet Soni, but they were prevented from doing so by the administration.
In the meantime another tragedy has befallen upon Soni Sori, as her mother has expired.
The brutal treatment meted out to Soni Sori, and the prevailing situation of conflict and repression in Chhattisgarh, cause us grave concern about Soni in particular, and the situation of women prisoners, in general. We demand immediate access for fact-finding groups to meet with Soni Sori and others to assess their condition in jail, particularly their medical situation. We fear that Soni Sori’s condition is rapidly deteriorating, and demand that she be released unconditionally.
1. Prof. Jagmohan Singh, General Secretary, Association for Democratic Rights, Punjab.
2. Prof. Ak Maleri, Organising Secretary AFDR Punjab
3. Dr. Parminder Singh, Convener, Democratic Front Against Operation Green Hunt, Punjab,
4. Balwant Singh Dhillon, Advocate, President Lawyers for Justice & Democratic Rights, Bathinda
5. Bagga Singh President, Association for Democratic Rights Punjab, Bathinda.
6. Sukhdev Singh Kokri Kalan, General Secretary Bharti Kisan Union (Ugrahan) Punjab
7. Pavel Kussa, President Naujwan Bharat Sabha, Punjab
8. Lachhaman Singh Sevewala, General Secretary Punjab Khet Mazdoor Union.
9. Amolak Singh, General Secretary, Lok Morcha, Punjab
10. Dr. Tejwant Mann, President, Kendari Likhari Sabha
11. Rajneesh Kumar Rana Advocate , Convener Beti Bachao Manch, Bathinda
12. Sadhu Ram Kusla, President All India DRDA Staff Welfare Association, Bathinda
13. Adv. Rajiv Lohahbadi General secretary Democratic Lawyers Association, Punjab
14. Dr. Arun Mitra General Srcretary Indian Doctors for Peace & Development
15. Parminder Jeet, Poet, Amritsar
16. Manmohan Bawa, Writer, Dalhousie
17. Narpinder Singh Rattan, Writer, Chandigarh
18. Dr. Atamjit, Playright
19. Baldev Singh ‘Saraknama’ Punjabi Writer Moga, Sahitya Academy Awardee
20. Renuka Singh Chairman Punjabi Sahit Sabha, Delhi
21. Dr. Karamjeet Singh, Director Punjabi Sahit Sabha, Delhi
22. Gurbachan Singh Bhullar, Punjabi Writer, Delhi
23. Lal Singh Punjabi Story Writer, Dasuya
24. N.K.Jeet, Advocate, Bathinda
25. Sudeep Singh, Advocate, Bathinda
26. Mandeep Singh Kular Advocate, Faridkot
27. Suman Singh Advocate Bathinda
28. Ram Pratap Singh, Advocate Bathinda
29. Jagmel Singh, State Committee Member, Lok Morcha Punjab
30. Amarjeet Singh Bai, Advocate, Amritsar.
31. Dr. Dharamvir Gandhi, Patiala
32. Dr. Ranjit Singh Ghumman
33. Adv. Naval Kishore
34. Prof Ajmer Singh Aulakh, Mansa
35. Dr. Jitendar Singh Punjabi University
36. Dr. Sukhpal Senior Economist Punjab Agriculture University Ludhiana
37. Dr. S. N. Sewak Theatre
38. Col. J.S.Brar (Retd)
39. Prof Jaswant Gill Retd. Principal
40. Sh Jaswant Zirakh Taraksheel Society Punjab, Ludhiana
41. Sukhwinder Editor Pratibadh
42. Lakhwinder Editor Lalkar
43. Attarjit Singh Punjabi Story writer, Bathinda
44. Ajay Pal Naujavan Bharat Sabha
45. Prof. Bawa Singh Head, Deptt. of English
46. Advocate Charanvir Singh Patiala
47. Advocate Sher Singh Patiala
48. Advocate Alankar Arora
49. Advocate Narinder Singh Ludhiana
50. Advocate Kuldip Siongh Ludhiana
51. Dr. Harbans Singh Grewal, District President, Association For Democratic Rights Ludhiana Punjab.
52. Dr. Sandeep Singh Surgeon, Ludhiana
53. Pritpal Democratic Rights Activist, Bathinda
54. Buta Singh Writer & Democratic Rights Activist
55. Prof. Arun Bhagat Head, Deptt. of English DAV College Faridabad
56. Dr. Sarika Kanjlia DAV College Faridabad
57. Prof. Savita Bhagat Head, Deptt.of Economics DAV College Faridabad
58. Dr. Shubhdarshan Head, Deptt. of Hindi DAV College Faridabad
59. Prof Archana Head, Deptt. of Commerce DAV College Faridabad
60. Dr. Vijaywanti Head, Deptt. Of Geography DAV Faridabad
61. Prof. Mamta Khosla
62. Prof. Priyanka
63. Mitter Sain Meet Punjabi Novelist
- Activists like Aruna Roy, Jean Dreze write to PM demanding medical attention for Soni Sori (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Immediate Release-Citizens appeal to PM, CM: Save Soni Sori from death in jail (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Human Rights Watch writes to PMO re Soni Sori’s case (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Women Activists meet NHRC Chairperson for #SoniSori (kractivist.wordpress.com)
Leave a Reply