For many in the Tamil community of the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia and elsewhere, this also marks the thirtieth anniversary of when their own personal story of migration and resettlement started.
Tomorrow, to mark the thirtieth anniversary of the start of the riots themselves, we will be unveiling our own little commemoration. In the meantime – to mark the day many take as the start of Black July – we are going to post a number of different articles in the comments below: many written as part of the excellent Groundviews Black July project.
- “Home” by Ameena Hussein http://groundviews.org/2013/
- “School closed early today…” by Dilrukshi Fonseka http://groundviews.org/2013/
- “On Black July, I was 3 years old” by Natalie Soysa http://groundviews.org/2013/
- “Home” by Tehani Ariyaratne http://groundviews.org/2013/
- “Much left to untangle yet” by Sachini Perera http://groundviews.org/2013/
- “Thirty years ago, today” by Iromi Pererahttp://groundviews.org/
- “I Wasn’t Around in ‘83” by Anushka Wijesinha http://groundviews.org/2013/
- “The absolute silence at home” by Tanuja Thurairajahhttp://groundviews.
- “The lucky ones” by Sashi Selvendran http://groundviews.org/2013/
- “Silk sarees” yet another brilliant piece of writing from Dushi Yanthini http://groundviews.org/2013/
- “A card” for Black July by Shanika Perera http://groundviews.org/2013/
- D.B.S. Jeyaraj discusses the “Anatomy of an Anti-Tamil Pogrom”http://dbsjeyaraj.com/
- Dushi Yanthini recounts memories of trauma and upheaval on the 30-year anniversary of Black July http://groundviews.org/2013/
- Groundviews launches major project reflecting on the enduring legacy of Black July 1983 http://groundviews.org/2013/
07/18/30-years-ago-an- unprecedented-look-at-black- july
- Charles Haviland remembers the extremism of July 1983 – and those who rejected it. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/
And it is worth also mentioning the excellent series of videos Groundviews, and others, made 5 years ago: http://groundviews.org/
The Sri Lanka Campaign for Peace and Justice
Leave a Reply