Hemali Chhapia,TNN | Jan 12, 2014,
The survey, the findings of which were accessed by TOI, found that 70% students are not satisfied with the basic facilities like seating arrangements in lecture halls, the teaching equipment, toilet facilities etc.
Eighty-two per cent students said they did not have access to the gymnasium and while one out of two said the university is not in good condition. Some said the building may fall anytime.
“Even a first-aid box is not available,” said a student. “Lecture complex has the worst atmosphere. Outdated journals and missing books as well as pages from some books sit in the library. Books are full of dust,” said another from the economics department. Commerce students said there is one computer for 600 students.
Students also complained about the toilets in the lecture complex, “They are unclean and broken and the flush is not working,” said one of them.
Students also submitted a list of 30 points to the chancellor. They include setting up a competitive exam academy with adequate resources and faculty to give students the best opportunity to compete, reading room to be made available to all students for 24 hours, adequate security measures to be made at each women’s hostel, streetlights to be installed in those parts of the campus where they are lacking and provision of basic facilities to each department like drinking water, benches, lecture hall, waste bins, common room and hygienic toilets.
What students want
· Physical education department student be provided with adequate facilities of boarding and lodging and equipment in order to be able to participate and compete in national level competitions
· Establishment of a students’ grievance redressal cell
· Provision of software, study material, additional remedial lectures and other facilities for the visually impaired
· Setting up of a central placement cell
· Initiation of an orientation program for new students to educate them about the various activities in the university
Improvement of health centre facilities by employing residential doctors.
- #India – Neeraj Hatekar and the imperatives of academic freedom (kractivist.org)
- #India- Suspension of Economics Prof #Neerajhatekar Rocks Mumbai University (kractivist.org)
Read more here — http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/mumbai/Pupil-survey-Issues-raised-by-Hatekar-were-genuine/articleshow/28693335.cms
Leave a Reply