BS Reporter | New Delhi May 20, 2013 Last Updated at 12:28 IST
Police lathi-charged a demonstration of workers’ families outside the residence of Haryana Industry Minister Randeep Singh Surjewala and arrested about 100 workers and their family members from the dharna site at the Kaithal mini secretariat on the night of May 18. Workers had given an ultimatum on may 8 to release all 147 Maruti workers arrested after the July violence. They had threatened to demonstrate outside the house of Surjewala on May 18.
The workers and their family members have been sitting on a dharna at the Mini Secretariat from 28 April demanding release of the 147 workers in Gurgaon Jail and reinstatement of the workers, both permanent and contract, terminated without enquiry following the 18 July incident.
Said a senior trade union leader from All India Trade Union Congress: AITUC has expressed solidarity with the protesting workers.
He said that the unions formed at these factories are not affiliated with any central union and have been supported by various organisations including local political parties.
According to the New Trade Union Initiative a workers organisation that weaves together small groups and unions, 84 Sarpanches from across Haryana had extended their support to the Maruti Suzuki workers struggle at the last demonstration of the workers at Kaithal on 8 May, The Haryana Government has stopped the funds to these Panchayats. Thus it is using both brute force and its fiscal powers to obliterate the struggle of the workers and put down the solidarity and support mobilised by the Sarpanches across the state, NTUI said.
“We continue to stand in solidarity with the struggle of the members of Maruti Suzuki Workers Union and their demand for a fair inquiry, release of the arrested workers and reinstatement of the workers terminated after the 18 July 2012 incident. This struggle against capital and the complicit state is a critical turning point in upholding democratic rights of the working class,” a joint statement by four different organizations supporting Kaithal workers said. These are NTUI, Peoples Union for Democratic Rights, Association for Democratic Rights and People’s Union of Civil Rights.
- Maruti Suzuki :Ignition Trouble And After (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Protests against Maruti Suzuki management and Haryana Government’s pro-capitalist stance (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India – Govt paid lawyer Rs 1.44 cr to fight Maruti Suzuki case #WTFnews (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- PRESS RELEASE- 147 workers of Maruti Suzuki Union in Kaithal Arrested (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Join GHERAO of Industries Minister residence on 19th May in Kaithal (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Maruti Suzuki Workers Union pamphlet on the occasion of May day (kractivist.wordpress.com)