VAL has been persistently urging the state government to arrange bauxite supplies from alternative sources
Vedanta Aluminium, which has shut its alumina refinery at Lanjigarh due to bauxite unavailability, has written to the Odisha government once again for ensuring supply of the raw material.
“Thousands have become jobless. We shall be grateful if urgent action is taken for ensuring bauxite supply in line with the memorandum of understanding between Odisha government and VAL,” said Mukesh Kumar, president of the company.
The company had entered into a pact with state run miner Odisha Mining Corporation (OMC) to source bauxite from the ecologically fragile Niyamgiri hills with deposits of around 70 million tonne.
Since its shutdown, VAL has been persistently urging the state government to arrange bauxite supplies from alternative sources as the pact ensured supply of 150 million tonne of the raw material to feed the company’s one million tonne refinery.
In February, VAL requested the inter ministerial group of the state government, constituted for raw material supply to state-based industries, to expedite processing of pending applications of OMC, especially those bauxite leases falling under non-forest areas.
These applications are either at PL (prospecting license) or ML (mining lease) stages.
The company had also approached the government to allow OMC or any private player to the excavate low grade bauxite deposits buried in exhausted iron ore mines of Steel Authority of India Ltd (SAIL) and Rungta Mines.
The state government has already conducted a hearing on the lease renewal of a bauxite mine of Rungta Sons, but nothing has moved since then.
“Further to the presentation made by us before the ministerial committee on February 15, we would like to bring your kind attention that the plant is still under temporary shut down as no arrangement for bauxite could be made,” Kumar said in the letter.
- #India -Tribals oppose alternate mine to Vedanta #indigenous (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- SC asks cos including Vedanta, Adani, Tata and Essar Steel to pay 50% entry fee tax demand by Odisha (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India- Apex court puts a ‘God’ poser for Vedanta Group (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Jairam Ramesh for 20-yr mining freeze in AP tribal areas #goodnews (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India- Environment ministry denies forest clearance to Vedanta #goodnews (kractivist.wordpress.com)
Leave a Reply