One need not necessarily have an Aadhaar number as of now for availing of monetary benefits under government schemes such as Employees Provident Fund, insurance and pension or for booking railway tickets and opening bank accounts. As far as the current status of Aadhaar number – meant for direct transfer of subsidies to beneficiaries to plug leakages — is concerned, it is not mandatory for any of the government schemes.
An official from the Unique Identification Authority of India told dna, “As of now Aadhaar number has not been made mandatory for any of the schemes of the central government.
The state governments, meanwhile, may link their schemes with Aadhaar number.”
Even though Aadhaar has not yet been made mandatory for schemes such as EPF, the Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation, under the ministry of labour and employment, has asked its field offices to make maximum efforts to obtain the available Aadhaar number or the enrolment number of the EPF members, in a communication dated February 6.
It is clear that the government intends to make Aadhaar mandatory for schemes such as EPF and pension but the scale and time required is coming in the way.
The EPFO, vide its letter dated January 21, made it mandatory to submit Aadhaar number for new EPF members joining on or after March 1. A labour ministry official said, “During discussions with the UIDAI, it emerged that UID is not enrolled in all the states. Therefore it was decided not to make Aadhaar number mandatory. And an order was subsequently released,” said the official.
In its February letter, the EPFO observed, “In view of discussions held with UIDAI officials and some time required in the process of obtaining Aadhaar numbers, it may not be possible to obtain the number by EPF by March 1. Therefore it has been decided to not make the Aadhaar number/enrolment mandatory for EPF members from March 1, 2013.’
Similarly, in the case of railway reservations, Aadhar card is only one of the documents required. In case of opening of savings account in banks, Aadhar will work as one of the documents required, and has not yet been made mandatory. Existing bank customers as well as new customers can link their accounts with Aadhar number to avail of subsidies on LPG cylinders directly. Even this is not mandatory and is under optional head in the Aadhar application form.
- Plea against Aadhaar, Delhi HC asks govt to respond #UID (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India- Aadhaar For Birth, Marriage And Death #UID (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India Aadhaar card: Many worried about #privacy #UID (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Mumbai Soon, enroll for #aadhaar at six bus depots #UID (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Link Aadhaar number with bank account or lose LPG subsidy #UID #WTFnews (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Everybody wants an Aadhaar card. But why? #UID #mustread (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Maharashtra loses data of 3 lakh #UID cards #Aadhaar #WTFnews (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India -Lack of safeguards in ID cards questioned #UID #Aadhaar (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #UID goof ups – e-Aadhaar download problems leave citizens frazzled (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India- Do you know why #Aadhaar – #UID is NOT compulsory #mustread (kractivist.wordpress.com)